Question: I don’t want to take pills. I don’t feel ill. Why is probiotic supplementing necessary?
Answer: Good gut bacteria are constantly under pressure because of:
1. Stressful lifestyles.
2. Chlorinated tap water (added chlorine in drinking water kills the harmful bacteria but also kills the beneficial probiotic bacteria in your gut).
3. Insecticides/pesticides on our fruits and vegetables.
4. Sugars (that feed the bad bacteria) and Preservatives in processed foods.
5. Antibiotics (prescribed and in food) and other medications such as birth control, acid suppressants (PPIs), antacids, steroids, hormonal replacement therapy or NSAIDs.
This results in a lack of good bacteria, an overgrowth of bad gut bacteria, poor digestive health, a “leaky gut syndrome” leading to increased systemic inflammation, a quicker onset of systemic degenerative diseases (such as Alzheimer’s) and premature ageing.
1. Avoid the above causes that put your "good gut bacteria" under pressure
2. Take natural PRE-biotics to feed your good probiotic bacteria such as organic vegetable fibre (leek, onions and under ripe bananas).
3. Take natural PRO-biotics such as kefir, yogurts containing live cultures, sauerkraut, kombucha etc
4. Consider taking a good probiotic supplement daily.